Saturday, March 03, 2007

Don't Classify Me

Many people wonder why I listen to hip hop and rap, at the same time, remarking that they totally don't expect it from me. Well, I guess I see where it comes from, myself being tall, wearing glasses, and originally being an Electrical and Computer engineer and all. I suspect the stereotype people see in me is: nerdy, listens to techno/electronica, sits at computer all day, no friends. I also suspect that even the people who are my friends think some of those things are true.

No, me listening to hip hop or rap is not an act of attempting to break out of anything. Rather, I'll break it down (as they say). I simply ADORE a good hip hop or rap beat. It's something that other genres of music lack. Techno simply has the same bass drum line over and over, rock is mostly about the treble end of the spectrum, and other genres are centered on guitars. Hip hop and rap are the only genres that are all about rhymin' on that solid beat or getting the drums totally set for the song.

A good beat resonates in me, as something I can nod my head to or blast on my speakers maxed out on bass. I recently discovered the work of some underground hip hop artists, and I'll say right here and now it's better than any of the front-lining artists like Jay-Z or whatever. Rap as it began was not all about drugs, girls, money, and cars. That's the kind of rap that I'm down with.

One more thing, well, I'm also a drummer. That totally destroys my stereotype, I feel. I'm really a quiet person when it comes to talking, and drums are the opposite. It's a loud instrument, meant for blasting, booming, ROARing up on that stuff. So when I hear a good beat I like identifying the drum hits, and then memorizing it so I can try it on my own.

Don't classify me. Peace.