Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Psyche

One of my small group leaders once said to me in regards to Psychology, "if you get bored, you can always analyze yourself" and laughed after that. I'm sure he probably meant it in a joking way, but it sort of rings true, in a way. I feel like my conscience gives a bit more insight nowadays. I'll be doing something, saying something, or writing something, and I'll get a little internal dialogue commenting about "is this the right thing to do" or "look you're doing that thing that crazy people do". Not to worry, I won't be becoming a schizo anytime soon.

I recall in Sophomore year of high school, my English (it was called American Literature back then) teacher said something similar to the aforementioned. He said that he couldn't help analyzing any literary or theatrical work that came into his view. He would find the theme and the literary elements of the works and he said it bothered him somewhat. But he's an English teacher (well not anymore because of a scandal involving a female minor and a sentence to correctional facility ..blah blah haha), so this was probably a useful asset in the end run.

Perhaps this would all be clearer with an example. Alright, so I was in the park walking the dog with my mother, and we were approaching a little league baseball game. I told my mom I didn't want to go over there and that we should turn around, because I didn't want all the young'uns running over to bother Kumo. That's true, however, I really just didn't want to have the kids see me walking my dog with my mom because I was embarrassed. See? This is how it is, the conscience reminds me of my true motive and then I feel like a putz.

So the moral of this amazing new ability? (Yes I have been watching too much Heroes, and hearing Dr. Suresh say the word "ability" too many times has left an imprint) Well, pretty much, I should use the conscience to effectively say what I really mean. As long as it doesn't end up hurting anyone, of course.