First off, I'll start off by debunking any notions that this entry is going to be about loneliness and feeling sorry for oneself for not having a significant other... yet. This is about all those other people who don't get the love that they so desperately need.
So here's the thought-provoking event. On my birthday in 2006, my parents came to my suite to pick me up to eat at Woojeon, give me my birthday present, and finally a card. Well? Where's the interesting part? My roommate, Eric, says to me, "what kind of Asian parent gives a birthday card?" Uhh.. the kind that loves me? I had to think a bit more on this before analyzing it some more.
Obviously, here, there's some element of the Asian stereotype that all the parents don't show their children love in any way and are raging demons of studiousness. Ha. Just kidding about the latter. I'm not going to write anything more about my roommate than it seems his parents don't know how to show love the proper way, they come off as nagging, and if I'm ever in the room when his mom calls it's always a heated argument over some random occurrence. But, hey, I have no idea what his life is like at home, the fact that he has only gone home twice all year long is probably a testament to that.
Back to the general, why don't Asian parents show love? I know my parents love me, and I can feel that they show me love. Is that only because they are Christian or is there some other factor? I feel that it does in part have to do with being children of God. Parents who are children of God will have God's love in them and therefore more fit to show love to their children, who in turn will show love to their children, and so forth.
On the other hand, there are Asian families where the parents are very loving, yet not Christian. So in the end, I'm back at square one, right? Nope. The love of our God is one that is unstoppable; any other type of human love pales in comparison. God's love is all encompassing, healing, amazing LOVE. It really boils down to this, since love as shown in the Bible is the gateway to all other qualities.