Undoubtedly I should not be a hypocrite and say that I hate the "maybe" people because, I digress, I am one of them. Maybe-People are those that teeter-totter on making decisions because they want to see what everyone else is doing first. They are especially prominent in Asian society or even among penguins. To test if the water has a possible predator beneath the ice, one of the penguins will have to prove that it is by going in first, and then they all follow. Of course I could be making this all up, but the basic concept I'm trying to get across is shown.
The big problem with Maybe-People is when you are in the position of being the person who plans the event or gathering. By the time it's RSVP day, you realize that no one has given you a steady yes; instead, you have a horde of "maybes" and several "no"'s. Be thankful that those people who said no were resolute enough or simply do not like you. You'll probably see the nos there at the event when they discover that voila, you've convinced all the maybes to go. But anyway, the maybes are the focus of this entry. Why must you torment me, the planner, my soul?
All that aside, I've decided to stop being whiny and indecisive. It was triggered by something someone wrote, although it might not have been directed at me, it's OK. I had also been thinking about it because of a CCF Men's Time months ago. "Man up!" So, I'll put more thought into things I say so that I won't have to use any of the following phrases: ..or something, MAYBE, it was LIKE, I don't know..., [general whining words + but, uhhhhhhh, mmmm, huh], aww but what if, et cetera. I've noticed that I use "or something" like a suffix to a lot of things that I say.
Jerome the Newbie Psychoanalyst says: It's from a deep-seated feeling that you don't want to be called out as WRONG, so you avoid it in a way by saying "something like" it.