Sunday, May 18, 2008

LFG?

Contrary to popular belief, the LFG in this post isn't "looking for group," "large freaking gun," or any such nonsense stock abbreviation. The LFG I'd like to write about today is Lord Father God. Yeah, you've probably heard it a couple times, and by a couple I mean a couple times in one prayer. An LFGer usually prays something like this, "Dear LFG, please just fill us up with your Holy Spirit, LFG. LFG, we know we are a broken people, sinners, LFG, but we also know that you, LFG, can rescue us from those sins.. LFG, thanks for all you have provided for us LFG. In Jesus' name, Amen." I won't be the first to admit it sounds a bit comical even though this is a serious thing, prayer. I mean, since prayer is our communication with God, you are speaking to Him and asking for Him to listen. But forget the sacrilegious-content of the next idea, try pretending you are instead talking to your good friend Bob. The words you would say would probably be pretty different, but it would sound like you addressed Bob every 5 words.

What's wrong here? Well, when you talk to people you know, you don't do that, and even more so because God loves you even more than a friend. Are you just saying LFG because you need a few words to say while you're thinking of more words? If so, that LFG is just a crutch for you, and you need to realize that. Check the verse below.
And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.
--Matthew 6:7 NIV

Yeah, this unfortunately is a pretty common thing among certain churches or youth groups. The passage is saying that we should not be babbling, instead think about each word without worrying about having to say something during that 'umm' period. This applies to a lot of other words, among them "just" and "like," but since "like" is already used countless times in our regular conversation, we don't notice it as much during prayers. In conclusion, we should all work on the words we choose during prayers, most of the times they're on the spot but we shouldn't fill up the prayer with empty ones.

Sorry, if this entry seems kind of disjoint towards the end, I must admit I got sidetracked by AIM and other such diversions. Also, the "you" is in the general sense, if you are one of those people who uses crutches while praying. I'm not directing this entry at anyone in particular.

Godspeed ye.