Thursday, April 10, 2008

Just Prayers

Well, I've been thinking about this a lot lately, wanting to put something down in writing. Unfortunately, I've become somewhat OCD about keeping my blogger posts to one a month as of late. (This means I was thinking about this since March). Here we go, tally ho!

You know those times when you're just all out of lifelines, and you're dealing with a lot of stressful things (I shall say "things" since it's as specific as I can get)? You're feeling floored, lower than the dirt, lower than the rocks under the dirt? You know, when you're just at your breaking point or ready to tear some hair out? What do you do? You talk to your buddies, hopefully, to sort of ease the burden a bit, maybe get some input on your next move. As a Christian surrounded by mostly Christian friends, I'm more likely to get the response "I'll pray for you."

Sometimes you just don't feel that's enough. You feel like there should be something else. You feel that something needs to get done to achieve some goal. You feel like praying is like sitting idly by a bunch of water-filled buckets while a fire roars nearby. Excuse the analogy, but I believe my point is made. For times like these, you just need to remember the following five words.

Let go and let God.

(Hopefully that's 5 in count and the nearly three A.M. time hasn't negatively affected my brain's most basic workings). Unbeknownst to many, I had those exact 5 words as the header on my Xanga for something like 2 or 3 years. I barely remember where I got those five words, it may have been on a small painting we have in my home. Still, those five words.. well they pack quite a punch, don't they?

Times like what I wrote about, times when you're feeling overcome by whatever is tugging at your soul and mind, just "Let go and let God." What does this mean? Well, since people like to feel like doing things will solve their problems, this tells them the opposite. Sometimes the best option is to let God carry you and take over for a bit. Give those feet a rest like in that poem entitled Footprints. A warning, I might add, is that this doesn't mean you should just drop everything and become complacent or idle. This is to remind you that God's up there taking care of you down here and that He'll help you shoulder that burden. They aren't just prayers.