This post has been on my mind for some time now. Now that I'm done with my last final of my senior year, I guess I'll finally get down to writing it. Now, I know I tend to use analogies a lot and my post titles tend to be one word for whatever my post is about, but here I thought "basket" wasn't enough. Besides, how can you say "basket" without appending "ball" to it? Maybe that's just me. Aside: Eggs in a Basketball?
What I really want to get across in this entry is not to put all your eggs in one basket. We're not talking about Easter egg hunts here. I'll explain the analogy. The eggs are all of your attachments and hopes, while the basket is a person. The basket could even be a concept or an idea, but it usually turns out to be the friend closest to you. Common arguments may be: "But this person has always been there for me!" "But this person promised to be there for me," or my personal favorite "I'll never let you down." These, while they may appear to be valid for the time being, pass with time, just like how moth and rust destroy. You know yourself; you know that you have faults. These baskets have faults too, they have holes and frayed ends just like everyone else.
Don't let everything hinge on this one person, this basket of yours. God calls us to be Christ-like, and to imitate Christ. When this person becomes your center of attention, you are putting this person above Christ, on a sort of pedestal. How is that possible, when you think you have a strong relationship with God? Well, sometimes that person is more accessible than how you think God is. In reality, God is everywhere, so He's way more accessible. But sometimes people don't see that and they go for the tangible human connection.
I know this sounds really bitter and all (Like, oh no Jerome, did your basket fall on the ground and break all your eggs?) Negative. I have been pondering about this for months now, even since OIL, as a matter of fact. My main point is not to distrust everybody and never let anyone in. Quite the contrary! Let people in, but give an egg to each one, and don't let one person achieve a godly divine status in your heart, that spot is reserved for the One who makes all things possible!
All glory, honor, power to Him, Amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
always never put all eggs in the basket
look at the story of abraham and isaac and bringing him up to the mountain to be sacrificed. his eggs were in nothing else than the hands of God. he withheld nothing, and loved God more than his own promised, precious son.
=] thanks for the reminder
Well said man.
Have you ever tried the breakfast food egg in a basket? Try it, it will not let you down.
Post a Comment