It tends to come in a very predictable format. First it hooks you in by saying that this has worked for the poster or that thou shalt not read it. Then it proceeds in instruction form to explain how you will get the love of your life to ask you out or confess their feelings for you. Some of these spam messages even promise that you will die in X number of days if you don't repost the video! Now, ignoring the fact that more than half of youtube's active user population are pre-pubescent adolescents that don't know any better, what does this tell us about people? Because really, who hasn't read one of those and considered if it would work for even a split-second. Young or old, we're still human.
I think it tells us a lot. It tells us that people are, at heart, lonely. They want those relationships around them to blossom and form bonds. They want their dream boy or girl to profess the feelings that they themselves have been unable to pronounce as of yet. Who wouldn't want all the 'work' to be done for them? (Trust me though, you do need to do the work, na'mean?) That aside, in a larger sense, it tells us that people seek relationships with other people. Obvious enough. But these are not just acquaintance relationships, they/we desire long-lasting ones. Who can provide the most satisfying relationship that we will ever have? Plainly and simply, God.
Pull it in Jerome. How did you go from YouTube, far-out to the topic of love and friendships, and end up at God? One must know that God provides all of these things for us. God provides for us, so that we can build those relationships with others. So that we can build each other up. God tells us that we don't need a dream boy or girl, but that all we need is Him. All of this will come in due time, in His great plan for each of us.
Somehow the latter portion of my entry feels disjoint, like I added God into a bunch of nonsense and tried to tie it up. Actually, I'm pretty sure that might have happened. I was going somewhere with this, I promise! Unfortunately, I lost my train of thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment