Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Choice

Imagine that you are to love someone without having any previous interaction with that person. The very thought is ridiculous. Why would you? Let's explore this now.

More recently amidst some personal revelation on the first commandment love (Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, and strength) I am delving deeper into why I love the Lord. I wonder what it would be like to be the first one to discover God as a lover. Currently I am only able to love God because I realize how much he has done for me.

And really that is the only way it works. God came first, God made the first move, only God was able to love fully before we ever did anything to deserve it. We do not deserve his love at all but he gives it out like free smells at Jimmy Johns.

But the very truth is that we do have a choice to love him. To me, on this side of life, knowing Jesus as my Saviour, the choice seems so easy. Why wouldn't I choose the unconditional love that he offers? Why wouldn't I rejoice in every triumph he has worked in my life? The choice is easy- I choose to dwell with God.

I am curious what it's like to love him without him making the first move. Theologically it might be feasible, to just love him because he is God. I don't want to bank on theology like that though. What I do know is that God is doing what I wrote about in the first paragraph. He loves us without us ever acknowledging him, and he continues to lavish love on us. God cannot do anything but love us like that! He is truly love. That is the defining pinnacle. Why is it so difficult for the world to see this? Choose God; it is easy.

No comments: